Common Signs of Heating Repairs
One of the most frightening situations a homeowner can encounter is a malfunctioning heater – especially as frigid fall weather arrives. If the heater stops working, it can leave a home cold and uncomfortable and can put a household at risk.
Homeowners can avoid these problems by knowing what signs to watch for that can indicate their heater is malfunctioning, and scheduling heating system repairs immediately.
Why Your Home Is Not Heating Up
Some possible problems can include:
- Malfunctioning thermostat: Technicians will check it’s working correctly, and that it wasn’t accidentally set to a lower temperature. They will also check the wiring and the batteries.
- Dirty or clogged filters: Experts will check the condition of the filters and replace the filters as needed. Technicians recommend that homeowners change the filters every 1 to 3 months.
- Blocked vent: They will ensure all heating vents are open and allow air to flow.
- Pilot light issues: If the home has a gas heater, technicians will check the pilot light to ensure it’s working correctly.
- Wrong unit size: Experts will check the heater to ensure it’s the right size for the house.
- Lack of maintenance: Professionals will check to see if the heater has been maintained recently and if it’s causing the unit to malfunction. If it needs a tuneup, an expert will perform services.
Unusual Sounds Coming From the Heater?
When a heater malfunctions, it can make strange sounds. Some common noises households might hear are:
- Banging or clanging: This can be caused by loose or damaged components, such as a broken blower wheel, damaged heat exchanger, or loose ductwork.
- Rattling: This signals loose parts like screws or panels.
- Squealing or screeching: A high-pitched squeal can indicate a problem with the blower motor or wheel.
- Hissing or whistling: This can signal air escaping from the ductwork.
- Clicking or ticking: Excessive, irregular ticking sounds can indicate a problem with the thermostat or the control system.
- Grinding: This can mean a major issue, like a damaged blower wheel, motor, or other damaged components.
If homeowners hear unusual noises from their heater, they should schedule heater repair services quickly. These can indicate a serious problem with the heater that needs to be fixed.
Why There’s an Unexplained Rise in Your Energy Bill
Malfunctioning heaters can cause homeowners’ energy bills to rise. Systems can use more energy than usual to heat the home to the desired temperature. Some reasons for this can include:
- The heater is operating inefficiently
- Clogged or dirty filters, make the system work harder to distribute warm air
- Leaky air ducts that allow heated air to escape
- Wrong thermostat settings
- Lack of regular routine maintenance
- Safety issues like a cracked heat exchanger
- Older heater that needs to be replaced
By repairing the malfunctioning heater, homeowners’ utility bills will return to normal, and they will save money by having their units operate more efficiently.
About Air Care Heating and Cooling
Since 2007, Air Care Heating and Cooling has provided quality heating and cooling services to the Charlotte area. They provide fast, quality services, and offer 24/7 emergency appointments. Call them today for HVAC services in Mint Hill, SC.